Thursday, March 1, 2007

Why I Blog On Coming Out

"Gay" might be misleading, but it's the term I prefer best in describing my sexual orientation at this point in time. But I am a woman. I'm (part) black. I'm in my second year of law school. I'm queer. I'm a thinker. And I'm a queer thinker, i.e. I see myself as thinking differently than most people, even most people in the GLBT community. I like to write, and I write for everyone. Even though I don't view my sexual orientation as a big deal, I have dedicated a journal to it because I recognize that there are some GLBT stories that are not being told. Although I'm not interested in being visible or having a gay voice in the public fight for gay equality, I am interested in having a voice for myself. Although I see bits and pieces of myself reflected in various GLBT stories, I never see enough of myself reflected in any story. So this is my story, my queer thoughts. I will focus on why I have chosen not to come out of the closet in various posts, taken from a piece I've already written. But I will also discuss other GLBT issues, as well, sometimes intersecting the GLBT identity with race and other identities. So welcome, and keep coming back!

Also, be sure to catch my comments on AOL's QueerSighted and my posts on The Lesbian Lifestyle blogs as "Nunya".