Thursday, April 26, 2007

Stereotypes About Black Women

Check this clip out...I'm actually laughing at it as I'm listening, first because of how the host refers to unattractive women as "shocking" and then how she seems to get frustrated and argumentative with an ignorant male.

This is an example of what I was saying about finding value in offensive comments. These stereotypes are so incredibly pervasive, and it's very interesting to hear them expressed here. The most interesting thing to me is how one guy gives a typical list of black women as attractive, i.e. Halle Berry and Beyonce, as so many people tend to do. It really just shows you how so many people of all races think. And I think the way the host responds is very interesting, especially in response to the guy naming Halle and Beyonce and how most white women don't look like white female celebrities, as well.